How to Keep Your Home Safe While You’re Out Trick-or-Treating
Although you’ve probably considered your family’s safety when going out trick-or-treating, you may not have thought about the security of your home while you’re gone. Pranks and vandalism are more common. In fact, statistics show more vandalism insurance claims are filed from Halloween than any other day of the year, with an average cost per claim at approximately $1,700.
Additionally, Halloween gives burglars a terrific opportunity to inspect houses without arousing suspicion. To help keep your home secure from vandalism or robbers, follow these eight tips:
* Trim bushes or hedges around your home, especially if they are near entrances and windows to reduce the likelihood of anyone hiding behind them.
* Put away ladders you may have outside that could make getting into your home even easier.
* Keep your home well lit. Don’t turn off your lights to let trick-or-treaters know you’re not home.
* Consider installing motion sensor flood lights outside that turn on when someone approaches your home. Automate lights inside on a random schedule.
* If you have a security system, keep it armed. If you have a pet, set it to “stay” mode to prevent them from setting it off.
* Don’t leave a spare key outside where it can be easily found by a burglar.
* Consider installing a security camera and post signs that you have one.
* Keep your car in the garage where it will be safe from vandalism.
Another threat to homes on Halloween are fires. There are approximately 10,300 fires in the United States during the three-day period around Halloween, causing about $83 million in property loss. Halloween is the perfect time to test your smoke alarm and change the batteries. Remember to never leave candles burning unattended, even in a jack-o’lantern, and use string lights and decorations outside which are labeled for outdoor usage.
Make sure to check with a trusted insurance agent to be certain that your home is adequately covered in the event of a Halloween incident. We want you to enjoy a safe and happy holiday.
For additional help with your homeowners insurance needs contact Pettineo Insurance Agency today at (954) 493-9424 or visit www.pettineo.com for a free quote.
Pettineo Insurance Agency Inc. provides homeowners insurance in Fort Lauderdale, Lauderdale-By-The-Sea, North Lauderdale, Pompano Beach, Oakland Park, Boca Raton, Deerfield Beach, Hollywood, Sunrise, Coral Springs, Pembroke Pines, Sunrise, Tamarac, Plantation, Lighthouse Point and all of Florida. As an independent agent we represent many top rated companies in both the personal and commercial lines. We place your policy with the company offering the best coverage at a reasonable price. We offer a complete line of personal, commercial, life and health insurance products, designed exclusively for your insurance needs. Serving South Florida for almost 30 years, Pettineo Insurance offers the highly personalized service and stability that you should expect from your insurance agent.