No Tricks, All Treats: Protect Your Children from Harmful “Tricks” in Their Goody Bags
Halloween and Harvest Day are fun fall celebrations for children. It’s a time when they can dress up in costumes, enjoy parties, and eat delicious treats. It can also be a great opportunity to eat healthy snacks, get physically active, and focus on safety.
Ironically, for 364 days out of each year, parents tell their kids not to take candy from strangers, then take them to every house in the neighborhood for snacks on Halloween. Although statistics show that tampering is rare, it’s always best to be safe rather than sorry. To help keep your trick-or-treaters safe follow these tips.
* Instruct children to wait until you have finished trick-or-treating to enjoy their snacks. Make the wait more enjoyable by turning it into a game they can play later, sorting, counting or swapping their treats.
* Feed children a light meal before trick-or-treating to help with the wait, allowing you time to inspect it.
* Go through the treats and only eat factory-wrapped snacks that have not been tampered with.
* Avoid eating anything that looks like it may have already been opened. Inspect items for signs of tampering, including discoloration, tiny pinholes, or tears in wrappers, and throw away anything that looks suspicious.
* If your child has any food allergies, check the label to ensure the allergen isn’t present. Even if the candy doesn’t contain allergens such as peanuts, it could be made in a facility which handles them.
* Don’t allow children to eat any home-baked goods.
* Remove any choking hazards such as gum, peanuts, hard candies, or small toys if you have very young children.
Help keep other children safe also. You may not be home on Halloween, but don’t put out a bowl of candy for kids to help themselves. While it seems like a good thing to do, someone could easily taint the candy. Although that probably won’t happen, it may not be worth taking the chance.
Pettineo Insurance Agency wants you and your family to enjoy a safe and happy Halloween.
For help with any of your insurance needs contact Pettineo Insurance Agency today at (954) 493-9424 or visit www.pettineo.com for a free quote.
Pettineo Insurance Agency Inc. provides insurance in Fort Lauderdale, Lauderdale-By-The-Sea, North Lauderdale, Pompano Beach, Oakland Park, Boca Raton, Deerfield Beach, Hollywood, Sunrise, Coral Springs, Pembroke Pines, Sunrise, Tamarac, Plantation, Lighthouse Point and all of Florida. As an independent agent we represent many top rated companies in both the personal and commercial lines. We place your policy with the company offering the best coverage at a reasonable price. We offer a complete line of personal, commercial, life and health insurance products, designed exclusively for your insurance needs. Serving South Florida for almost 30 years, Pettineo Insurance offers the highly personalized service and stability that you should expect from your insurance agent.