It can be both easy and fun to make a positive impact in your community. In fact, over 62 million people volunteered through, or for an organization, at least once in the last year. It isn’t necessary to have a lot of money or a great deal of time to make a difference. Just using and sharing your skills can help someone in your community today. Here are a few easy ways to get started.
- Clean out your what you’re not using – Others are always in need of items, which are just household clutter for you. Donate to local schools, churches, or charitable organizations. Clean out the pantry and bring canned or boxed food to a local food bank. Consider organizing a clothing sale. Ask friends and neighbors to donate their new or gently used clothing and accessories, and then donate the proceeds from the sale to a local charity.
- Think of animals – If your pet has a temperament which is suitable for it, they may make someone’s day happier. Consider bringing your pet to a hospital, senior center, or veteran’s club to bring some pleasure to the people who are there. Or, you may want to volunteer to foster a pet from a shelter. They can stay with you, enjoying your home and affection until someone decides to adopt them. Additionally, animal shelters are almost always looking for extra help.
- Cheer others up – Use your creativity and add colorful cheer by making cards or wall art to donate to hospitals and senior centers. Next time you’re baking, consider doubling your batch and bringing the extras to a veteran’s club, senior home or soup kitchen. You’re already baking, and there are plenty of people who would appreciate your efforts.
- Help out seniors or children – We all have certain things that we’re good at, so consider sharing those skills. Many schools, or school programs look for volunteers to share what they know. Seniors often live alone and have a difficult time with daily chores. Help with simple tasks such as yard work or cooking, though just the pleasure of your company may make someone’s life easier.
- Go green and grow – Volunteer at a community garden, park, or wildlife area. Gather others with an interest and consider starting a community garden in your area, or one where the food may be needed.
There are plenty of ways you can get involved in a volunteer capacity and discovering creative and unique ways can give you pleasure. In fact, volunteering is good for your health and happiness, with studies showing that people who volunteer live longer. It’s a terrific tool to fight the blues, temporarily forgetting your own problems and shifting your focus to helping others.
For additional ideas on how you can give back to your community, contact Pettineo Insurance Agency. Pettineo Insurance Agency is focused on helping in our community and would like to assist you with your insurance needs and coverage protection. For more information, please contact Pettineo Insurance Agency today at (954) 493-9424 or visit www.pettineo.com for a free quote.
Pettineo Insurance Agency Inc. provides insurance coverage protection plans in Fort Lauderdale, Lauderdale-By-The-Sea, North Lauderdale, Pompano Beach, Oakland Park, Boca Raton, Deerfield Beach, Hollywood, Sunrise, Coral Springs, Pembroke Pines, Sunrise, Tamarac, Plantation, Lighthouse Point and all of Florida. As an independent agent we represent many top rated companies in both the personal and commercial lines. We place your policy with the company offering the best coverage at a reasonable price. We offer a complete line of personal, commercial, life and health insurance products, designed exclusively for your insurance needs. Serving South Florida for almost 30 years, Pettineo Insurance offers the highly personalized service and stability that you should expect from your insurance agent.